One Family Parish
The Martyrs
The English Martyrs (Presbytery) 2 East Street, Chard, Somerset, TA20 1EP
The English Martyrs, St Joseph’s and St Peter’s

Parish of The English Martyrs

One Family Parish
Celebrating Our Centenary 2019
Information about our Centenary will be on this page when available The Foundation Stone The   foundation   stone   of   the   present   church   of   the   English   Martyrs   was   laid   by   Canon   Lee   on   the   24th   September 1925. The   completed   church   was   opened   and   solemly   blessed   less   than   a   year   later,   by   Bishop   Burton   on   the   feast   of St Alban,   the   first   of   all   the   English   Martyrs,   22nd   June   1926.   From   that   date   Chard   became   a   parish   in   it's   own   right, having   been   until   then   a   part   of   the   Taunton   Parish   of   St   George.   A   High   Mass   was   celebrated   on   that   occasion      by Canon   Cashman,   with   the   (later   to   become)   Rt   Rev   Mgr   Provost   Lles   later   preached   at   the   opening   of   St   Joseph's   in Ilminster   (22nd   April   1953)   which   along   with   St   Peter's   in   Crewkerne   (opened   1935),   is   a   daughter   church   of   the Chard Parish. The Church and High Altar were consecrated on 27th September, 1966  by the Right Reverand Joseph E. Rudderham, Bishop of Clifton. His Deacon on that occasion was the Right Rev. Fr Mervyn Alexander DD then Chaplain at the University of Bristol, and later to become the Bishop of Clifton.
Our Centeary Garden